Thursday, February 17, 2011

Indian Fashion Designers- Part 1


As I recently got married I had three months before marriage dedicated to my wedding trousseau shopping. I did so much of research and even though I had a big list of favorite designers, it wasn’t financially viable for me to buy from these topnotch designers. So finally I designed and prepared my whole trousseau except for the Baraat and Reception lehenga.

Especially after my marriage my liking for Indian embroidery and material has grown many folds. I thought why not start a post, sharing some information about Indian clothing.

I feel the Indian designers and the Indian attire outshine the top western designers and their designs. I have noticed that a lot of people are not aware about the Indian fashion industry and have met a number of girls who don’t even know the most well known Indian designers. So this first post is going to be a little introduction to some of my favorite Contemporary Designers.


Sabyasachi Mukherjee


He is my favorite Designer. His clothes make a girl look sooo elegant and dignified. When most of the designers have been taking inspiration from the west, he has been the only designer whose work originates from the Indian traditional culture and clothing. He combines the richest materials available in India like silk, khadi, brocade, velvet etc with beautiful intricate embroidery, patchwork in vibrant colors and block printing. The Victorian London, old streets of Calcutta, West Bengal and Orissa inspire his designs and work. It is very easy to spot a Sabyasachi creation as he has a very unique style. I am always short of words in praise of this wonderful designer. His collections remind me of vintage designs which never goes out of style.

Sabyasachi designs are available at Aza Fashion & Ensemble, Mumbai, @ Carma, Ogaan and Aza, New Delhi @ Espee & Intrigue, Kolkata, @ Origins and Oorja, Hyderabad, @ Evoluzione, Chennai & Banglore, @ Elan, Hyderabad.

Sabyasachi can also be shopped from International stores in Saudi Arabia, U.S.A. Hongkong Shanghai, Italy, Germany, Russia, Ireland, Switzerland, Kuwait and London.




Ritu Kumar






















She is one of the oldest designers in fashion industry who hails from the late 60’s era of designers. She was also the first woman to start the boutique culture in India. Ritu kumar lehenga’s are the prettiest lehengas that I have seen with work so intricate and delicate that its perfect for the ‘brides to be’ for their big day. Usually I have seen reds and pinks more widely used in her bridal wear collections. I feel that her most beautiful creations are the ones with Zari embroidery. I remember one of my friends wore a stunning Ritu Kumar Lehenga on her Wedding Reception. It was a beautiful lehenga in red and gold which made her look really elegant.

Ritu Kumar collection is available in Mumbai, Delhi, Gurgaon, Chenna, Banglore, Hyderabad, Kolkatta, Ludhiana, Chandigarh, Amritsar, Goa, Pune, Ahmedabad, Guwahati, Indore. For specific address of the store you can check out her website.



Manish Malhotra



He is the man who became big in fashion industry without any formal education in fashion design. So he is my biggest inspiration. He has been known to dress up bollywoods most beautiful women and is quite popular among them especially for his saris. He started his career as a model while studying in a college in Mumbai after which he joined a boutique in Mumbai called the Equinox. This is exactly where he realized his passion for fashion and costumes and decided that bollywood was his forte as he was a die-hard fan of Bollywood. He started up designing clothes for actresses in the late 80’s era like Juhi chawal and Urmila Matondkar. Even now I see Kareena Kapoor, Priyanka Chopra, Deepika Padukone and Kajol wearing Manish Malhotra designs most of the time.

Manish Malhotra’s collection can be checked out at his main store in Mumbai located at link road, Khar. Besides this his designs are available at every outlet of Aza, Kimaya, Samsara, Evoluzione, Carma and The collective, located all over India.
Internationally, Studio 8 in Dubai also stocks up his collection.



I will soon be writing another blog with pictures of these designers’ collections, which will help to distinguish between their work and style.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contact & Disclaimer

Contact - Readers and PR professionals are welcome to write to me for any queries/product reviews/tie ups and advertising. You can leave a comment or contact me at blog.tanzy@gmail.com

Disclaimer - I only review the products that I have used. My opinions and reviews are genuine. If I dont like a product I will say so.